Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Vik Muniz

Vik Muniz

Orphan Girl at the Cemetery, after Delacroix from Gordian Puzzles, 2008
Digital color coupler print
87 x 71 inches


I'm sorry I missed this piece at one of my favorite galleries in Minneapolis this past winter. Vik Muniz is definitely one of my favorite artists- in every sense of the word- he can make art and then a photograph (to make usually temporary pieces very much permanent) out of virtually anything- from garbage to chocolate syrup or spaghetti.

http://www.vikmuniz.net/

2 comments:

  1. this is an awesome piece. i'm not totally clear though on what it is. was the piece a photograph of this puzzle installation? the actual puzzle? whatever it was, it's really freaking cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the only information on the Weinstein Gallery's website is that it was a group exhibition with the names of other photographers etc so I think this was viewed as a photographic portrait rather than anything with puzzles. I will post one of my favorite pieces of his above- the mona lisa in peanut butter and jelly. Vik Muniz is a master of alternative processes within his art work but I think he is also considered a photographer- though I could never do what he does before taking the actual shot to make his work permanent.

    Here's where I found the piece (his actual website is kind of annoying to navigate) and I will post the photo above..
    http://post.browndailyherald.com/2009/10/30/fabulously-frightening-friday-festivities-and-vik-muniz/

    ReplyDelete